1. Education and Positions:
B.S. in Chemistry, National Taiwan University (1966-1970)
Ph.D. in Chemistry, The University of Chicago (1971-1975)
M.D., The University of Miami, School of Medicine (1985-1987)
Research Associate, Department of Chemistry, The University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois (1975-1977)
Research Fellow, Department of Cellular and Developmental Immunology, Research Institute of Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, California (1977-1979)
Assistant Member, Department of Cellular and Developmental Immunology, Research Institute of Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, California (1979-1982)
Associate Member (1982-1987), Member (1987-1990), Medical Biology Institute, La Jolla, California
Associate Member/Head, Allergy Research Section, Department of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California (1990-1996)
Member/Head, Division of Allergy, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, San Diego, California (1996-2001)
Professor and Chair (2001-2011), Distinguished Professor and Chair (2011-2012), Distinguished Professor and Chair Emeritus (2012-present), Department of Dermatology, University of California, Davis, CA
Distinguished Research Fellow and Director, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan (2010- )
Professor, National Taiwan University, College of Medicine, Department of Dermatology, Graduate Institute of Immunology, and Division of Microbiology, Taiwan (2011-present)
2. Honors and Awards:
NIH Allergy and Immunology Study Section (1985-1989)
Member, American Society for Clinical Investigation (1988- )
NIH Immunology and Transplantation Research Committee (1993-1997)
Associate Editor, Journal of Clinical Investigation (1993-1997)
Member, Association of American Physicians (2004- )
Member, American Skin Association Medical/Scientific Advisory Committee (2004- )
Joan Oettinger Memorial Award (Cancer and Pulmonary Research), UC Davis (2005)
Section Editor, Journal of Dermatological Science (2005- )
Editorial Board, Clinical Reviews in Allergy and Immunology (2005- )
Lu Yau-Chin Memorial Lectureship, Taiwanese Dermatology Society (2006)
Editorial Board, Journal of Medicinal Food (2007- )
Reviewer Board, Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (2008- )
Elected to membership in American Dermatologic Association, 2011
Honorary member, Taiwanese Dermatological Association, 2011
Elected to Academician, Academia Sinica, Taiwan, 2012
Editorial Board, Experimental Dermatology (2013-)
Galectins, allergic inflammation, atopic dermatitis, mast cell-mediated diseases, immunolbllous dermatoses
4. Selected Publications:
- Sano, H., Hsu, D.K., Apgar,J.R., Yu, L., Sharma, B.B., Kuwabara, I., Izui, S., and Liu, F.-T. Critical role of galectin-3 in phagocytosis by macrophages. J Clin Invest 112:389-97, 2003.
- Ueda, S., Kuwabara, I. and Liu, F.-T. Suppressive effect of galectin-7 on tumor growth. Cancer Research, 64:5672-6, 2004.
- Liu, F-T. and Rabinovich, G.A. Galectins as novel modulators of tumor progression. Nature Reviews Cancer 5: 29-41, 2005.
- Hsu, D.K., Chen, H.-Y., Yu, L., Chernyavsky, A.I., Grando, S.A., and Liu, F.-T. Endogenous galectin-3 is localized in membrane lipid rafts and regulates migration of dendritic cells. J Invest Dermatol 129:573-83,2009.
- Saegusa, J., Hsu, D.K., Chen, H.-Y., Yu, L., Fermin, A., Fung, M.A., and Liu, F.-T. Galectin-3 is critical for the development of the allergic inflammatory response in a mouse model of atopic dermatitis. Am J Pathol.174:922-931, 2009.
- Chen, H-Y.,Fermin, A., Vardhana, S., Weng, I-C., Lo, K.F.R., Chang,E-Y.,Maverakis, E., Yang, R.Y., Hsu,D.K., Dustin, M., and Liu, F.-T. Galectin-3 negatively regulates TCR-mediated CD4+ T cell activation at the immunological synapse. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA106:14496-14501, 2009.
- Markowska A.I., Liu, F.-T., and Panjwani, N. Galectin-3 is an important mediator of VEGF- and bFGF-mediated angiogenic response. J Exp Med, 207:1981-93, 2010, 2010.
- Yang, R.-Y., Yu, L., Graham, J., Hsu, D.K., Lloyd, K.C., Havel, P.J., and Liu, F.-T. Ablation of a galectin preferentially expressed in adipocytes increases lipolysis, reduces adiposity, and improves insulin sensitivity in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108:18696-18701, 2011.
- Liu, W., Hsu, D.K., Chen, H.-Y., Yang, R.-Y., Carraway 3rd, K.L., Isseroff, R.R., and Liu, F.-T. Galectin-3 regulates intracellular trafficking of epidermal growth factor receptor through Alix and promotes keratinocyte migration. J Invest Dermatol. 132:2828-37, 2012.
- Choy, D.F., Hsu, D.K., Seshasayee, D., Fung, M.A., Modrusan, Z., Martin, F. Liu,F.T., and Arron, J.R. Comparative transcriptomic analyses of atopic dermatitis and psoriasis reveal shared neutrophilic inflammation. J Allergy Clin Immunol 130:1335-1343, 2012 (co-corresponding author).
- Fermin Lee, A, Chen, H.Y., Wan, L., Wu, S.Y, Yu, J.S., Huang, A.C., Miaw, S.C., Hsu, D.K., Wu-Hsieh, B.A., and Liu, F.T. Galectin-3 modulates Th17 responses by regulating dendritic cell cytokines. Am J Pathol in press, 2013.