1. Education and Positions:
B.S. in Chemistry, National Taiwan University (1966-1970)
Ph.D. in Chemistry, The University of Chicago (1971-1975)
M.D., The University of Miami, School of Medicine (1985-1987)
Research Associate, Department of Chemistry, The University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois (1975-1977)
Research Fellow, Department of Cellular and Developmental Immunology, Research Institute of Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, California (1977-1979)
Assistant Member, Department of Cellular and Developmental Immunology, Research Institute of Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, California (1979-1982)
Associate Member (1982-1987), Member (1987-1990), Medical Biology Institute, La Jolla, California
Associate Member/Head, Allergy Research Section, Department of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California (1990-1996)
Member/Head, Division of Allergy, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, San Diego, California (1996-2001)
Professor (2001- ) and Chair (2001-2010), Department of Dermatology, University of California, Davis, School of Medicine, Sacramento, California
Distinguished Research Fellow and Director, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan (2010- )
2. Honors and Awards:
National Research Service Award (1979-1980)
Leukemia Society of America Scholar Award (1982-1987)
NIH Allergy and Immunology Study Section (1985-1989)
Member, American Society for Clinical Investigation (1988- )
NIH Immunology and Transplantation Research Committee (1993-1997)
Associate Editor, Journal of Clinical Investigation (1993-1997)
Member, Association of American Physicians (2004- )
Member, American Skin Association Medical/Scientific Advisory Committee (2004- )
Joan Oettinger Memorial Award (Cancer and Pulmonary Research), UC Davis (2005)
Section Editor, Journal of Dermatological Science (2005- )
Editorial Board, Clinical Reviews in Allergy and Immunology (2005- )
Lu Yau-Chin Memorial Lectureship, Taiwanese Dermatology Society (2006)
Editorial Board, Journal of Medicinal Food (2007- )
Reviewer Board, Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (2008- )
Galectins, allergic inflammation, atopic dermatitis, mast cell-mediated diseases, immunolbllous dermatoses
4. Selected Publications:
- Liu, F.-T., Bohn, J.W., Ferry, E.L., Yamamoto, H., Molinaro, C.A., Sherman, L.A., Klinman, N.R. and Katz, D.H.Monoclonal dinitrophenyl-specific murine IgE antibody:Preparation, isolation and characterization.J Immunol. 124:2728-2737, 1980.
- Albrandt, K.A., Orida, N.K. and Liu, F.-T.An IgE-binding protein with a distinctive repetitive sequence and homology with an IgG receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 84:6859-6863, 1987.
- Yang, R.-Y., Hsu, D.K. and Liu, F.-T.Expression of galectin-3 modulates T cell growth and apoptosis.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93:6737-6742, 1996.
- Hsu, D.K., Yang, R.-Y., Pan, Z., Yu, L., Salomon, D.R., Fung-Leung W.-P., and Liu, F.-T. Targeted disruption of the galectin-3 gene results in attenuated peritoneal inflammatory responses.Am J Pathol 156:1073-1083, 2000.
- Asai, K., Kitaura, J., Kawakami, Y., Yamagata, N., Tsai, M., Carbone, D.P., Liu, F.-T., Galli, S.J., and Kawakami, T. Regulationof mast cell survival by IgE. Immunity 14:791-800, 2001.
- Yang, R.-Y., Hsu, D.K., Yu, L., Ni, J., and Liu, F.-T.Cell cycle regulation by galectin-12, a new member of the galectin superfamily. J Biol Chem 276:20252-20261, 2001.
- Sano, H., Hsu, D.K., Apgar,J.R., Yu, L., Sharma, B.B., Kuwabara, I., Izui, S., and Liu, F.-T. Critical role of galectin-3 in phagocytosis by macrophages. J Clin Invest 112:389-97, 2003.
- Yang, R.Y., Hsu, D.K., Yu, L., Chen, H.-Y., and Liu, F.-T. Galectin-12 is required for adipogenic signaling and adipocyte differentiation. J Biol Chem. 279:29761-6, 2004.
- Ueda, S., Kuwabara, I. and Liu, F.-T. Suppressive effect of galectin-7 on tumor growth. Cancer Research, 64:5672-6, 2004.
- Zuberi, R., Hsu, D.K., Kalayci, O., Chen, H.-Y., Sheldon, H.K., Yu. L., Apgar, J., Kawakami, T., Lilly, C.M., and Liu, F.-T. Critical role for galectin-3 in airway inflammation and bronchial hyperresponsiveness in a murine model of asthma. Am J Pathol,165:2045-53, 2004.
- Liu, F-T. and Rabinovich, G.A. Galectins as novel modulators of tumor progression. Nature Reviews Cancer 5: 29-41, 2005.
- Chen, H.-Y., Sharma, B.B, Yu, L., Zuberi, R., Weng, I.-C., Kawakami, Y., Kawakami, T., Hsu, D.K., and Liu, F.-T. Role of galectin-3 in mast cell functions: Galectin-3-deficient mast cells exhibit impaired mediator release and defective JNK expression. J Immunol. 177:4991-7, 2006.
- Saegusa, J., Hsu, D.K., Liu, W., Kuwabara, I., Kuwabara, Y., Yu, L., and Liu, F.-T.Galectin-3 protects keratinocytes from UVB-induced apoptosis by enhancing AKT activation and suppressing ERK activation. J Invest Dermatol. 128:2403-11, 2008.
- Yang, R.-Y., Rabiniovich, G., Liu, F.-T. Galectins: Structures, functions and therapeutic potential. Exp Rev Mol Med. 10:e17, 2008.
- Hsu, D.K., Chen, H.-Y., Yu, L., Chernyavsky, A.I., Grando, S.A., and Liu, F.-T. dendritic cells. J Invest Dermatol 129:573-83, 2009.
- Saegusa, J., Hsu, D.K., Chen, H.-Y., Yu, L., Fermin, A., Fung, M.A., and Liu, F.-T. Galectin-3 is critical for the development of the allergic inflammatory response in a mouse model of atopic dermatitis. Am J Pathol174:922-931, 2009.
- Hsu, D.K., Chen, H.-Y., and Liu, F.-T. Galectin-3 regulates T cells. Immunol Rev230: 114-127, 2009.
- Chen, H-Y.,Fermin, A., Vardhana, S., Weng, I-C., Lo, K.F.R., Chang,E-Y.,Maverakis, E., Yang, R.Y., Hsu,D.K., Dustin, M., and Liu, F.-T. Galectin-3 negatively regulates TCR-mediated CD4+ T cell activation at the immunological synapse. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA106:14496-14501, 2009.
- Markowska A.I., Liu, F.-T., and Panjwani, N. Galectin-3 is an important mediator of VEGF- and bFGF-mediated angiogenic response. J Exp Med, in press, 2010.