Ph.D. candidates should fill out an application form for the Degree Examination and submit it along with past transcripts, thesis abstract, and proof of successful completion of the Qualifying Examination to the program director within the school deadlines. After the application is approved by the thesis advisor and the program director, students should submit the approved application form, a letter of recommendation from the thesis advisor, and a name list of the Degree Examination Committee to the Office of Academic Affairs for the administrative process.
Prerequisites for Examination
- Successful completion of all courses and credit hours required by the program.
- Passed the Qualifying Examination for Ph.D. candidacy.
- Had either:
- first-author publication in a Science Citation Index (SCI) listed biomedical related journal (must be in the top 20% of the field or with an Impact Factor above 5.0) OR
- first-author publication in a SCI listed biomedical related journal (must be in the top 50% of the field) and another completed first-author manuscript.
- A draft of the thesis must be reviewed and approved by the student’s thesis advisor before submitting to the committee.
Affiliation for Publication
- Taiwan International Graduate Program in Molecular Medicine, National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University and Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
- Thesis advisor’s affiliation, where you did your thesis
Degree Examination Committee
The Degree Examination Committee will consist of five to nine members, recommended by the thesis advisor and approved by the program director. Over one-third of the committee members should be from the National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University, and over one-third of the committee members should be from outside of the school. A chairperson will be selected from the committee, and the student’s thesis advisor cannot be the chairperson. Qualifications of a faculty as a member of the Degree Examination Committee will be determined as per National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University regulations.
- A draft of the thesis must be written according to National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University requirements and submitted to the Degree Examination Committee after being approved by the thesis advisor two weeks prior to the Degree Examination.
- A score of 70 for the thesis exam is considered passing, with 100 being the perfect score. The final examination score is an average of individual scores given by the attending committee members. However, if over one-third (including one-third) of the committee members give out a score below 70, the student will be considered to have failed the exam.
- After the candidate passes the thesis examination, should there be modifications suggested by the committee members, the candidate should make all the necessary changes. If the candidate cannot comply with the suggestions, reasons why such changes cannot be made should be provided. Therevised thesis must first be approved by the chairperson of the Degree Examination Committee and then submit to other committee members for final approval and signatures.
- Candidates who fail the thesis exam can apply for a re-examination, provided their time-to-degree limits have not yet expired. Students requesting for re-examination will still need to fill out an application and submitted for approval by their thesis advisors, the program director, the director of the Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, and the Dean of Academic Affairs at National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University within the school deadlines. The re-examination is limited to once only. Students who fail the re-examination will be asked to withdraw from the program.